What We Do
“What we do to prevent and control diabetes…”
We work with partners in the following settings:
- We promote the use of Community Health Workers in chronic disease prevention and management.
- We work with local health departments, pharmacies and other organizations to provide recognized diabetes self-management education and support.
- We encourage appropriate screening for diabetes and referral to diabetes prevention programs and diabetes self-management education and support.
- We promote the use of electronic health records to diagnose and treat people with diabetes, prediabetes and hypertension.
- We encourage the reporting and monitoring of national quality measures for diabetes and hypertension.
- We provide technical assistance on program implementation and participant recruitment and retention to local organizations that want to offer diabetes prevention programs recognized by the CDC.
- We support community diabetes coalitions to implement interventions through the Diabetes Continuum of Care.
- We encourage worksites to offer coverage of the National Diabetes Prevention Program.
We support the efforts of the North Carolina Diabetes Advisory Council (DAC) in the implementation of the North Carolina Guide to Diabetes Prevention and Management. The purpose of the DAC is to develop and promote sound policies and strategies for the detection, control and prevention of diabetes. The DAC also assists agencies and organizations in becoming more effectively engaged in efforts to reduce the burden of diabetes in North Carolina. For more information contact April Reese at April.Reese@dhhs.nc.gov. Visit DiabetesNC.com for more information about diabetes in North Carolina.