What We Do
“What we do to prevent and control diabetes…”
We work with partners in the following settings:
- Promote appropriate interventions through the Diabetes Continuum of Care.
- Provide technical assistance to local health departments that want to offer diabetes self-management education and diabetes prevention programs.
- Support community pharmacists in their efforts of medication adherence, medication reconciliation and referral to chronic disease prevention and management programs.
- Promote the use of Community Health Workers in chronic disease prevention and management.
- Encourage appropriate sites to become recognized by the CDC for providing diabetes prevention programs.
- Provide diabetes self-management education through local health departments who participate in the Diabetes Education Recognition Program (DERP).
- Promote the use of electronic health records to diagnose and treat people with diabetes, pre-diabetes and hypertension.
- Encourage the reporting and monitoring of national quality measures for hypertension and diabetes.
- Engage worksites to increase coverage and build support for diabetes prevention programs.
We support the efforts of the North Carolina Diabetes Advisory Council (DAC) in the implementation of the North Carolina Diabetes Strategic Plan 2011-2015. The purpose of the DAC is to develop and promote sound policies and strategies for the detection, control and prevention of diabetes. The DAC also assists agencies and organizations in becoming more effectively engaged in efforts to reduce the burden of diabetes in North Carolina For more information about the North Carolina Diabetes Advisory Council, contact April Reese, DAC Coordinator at April.Reese@dhhs.nc.gov.
Visit www.DiabetesNC.com for more information about diabetes in North Carolina.