What We Do
“What we do to improve physical activity and nutrition and reduce obesity…”
We work with partners to support healthy eating and physical activity in the following settings:
- We increase access to farmers’ markets in underserved areas.
- We increase awareness, use and the number of parks, trails and greenways in North Carolina.
- We support communities in creating policies and environments where people have access to healthy foods and places to be physically active.
Early Care and Education
- We promote and implement food service guidelines, nutrition standards, physical activity and physical education standards in early care and education settings.
- We promote physical activity and healthy eating in faith communities.
- We promote and implement policies and practices that create supportive nutrition environments, quality physical education and physical activity in K-12 Schools.
We promote physical activity and healthy eating in worksites.
We provide staff support to the Eat Smart, Move More NC Leadership Team, a multi-agency partnership that oversees the implementation of the Eat Smart, Move More NC movement guided by North Carolina’s Plan to Address Obesity: Healthy Weight and Healthy Communities 2013-2020. For more information, contact the Eat Smart, Move More North Carolina Coordinator, Mary Bea Kolbe, at MaryBea.Kolbe@EatSmartMoveMoreNC.com.